Are you in the market for a new printer? With so many makes and models on the market these days, it can be difficult to know which machine is best for your business--and whether you're getting a good deal. Here are a few ways to ensure you've found a high-quality printer that will keep its promises.
Why a Good Printer Matters
Of course, that's a given--but it's particularly important in the printing world. That's because the quality of your machines will directly influence many other parts of your business, including:
- Maintenance and repair costs: A low-quality printer will drain your budget every time it needs maintenance or a pricey fix. The more often you have to repair your printer, the less cost-effective it is.
- Print quality: A printer might do its job, but that doesn't mean the resulting documents will look good. Print quality is a big deal--especially for client-facing documents.
- Uptime: When machines malfunction, entire workflows can be stopped in their tracks. Maximizing uptime is just one more reason you need to invest in quality.
- Functionality: The last thing you want is to find a new printing need only to discover that your new machine doesn't support it. As customers get more demanding and companies need to be creative to stay competitive, you can't afford to fall behind in print functionality.
- Productivity: If a printer isn't actively increasing your productivity, it's slowing you down. That's a big deal for a machine that's supposed to make life easier.
Green Flags in Printer Shopping
So, how do you know that you've chosen a high-quality printer? Look for these green flags:
The Price Is Right
Naturally, you're going to want a good deal when shopping for print devices--but don't fall into the trap of grabbing the cheapest thing on the market. Instead, look for machines that are worth the money you're going to pay. Also keep in mind that if one printer is significantly cheaper than its competitors, there's usually a reason.
The Features Are Promising
Don't settle for fewer features than you actually need. Make sure to find a machine with a comprehensive offering, including popular features such as:
- WiFi compatibility.
- Automatic document feeding.
- Email and app integration.
- Finishing options.
The Name Is Familiar
While you don't have to go with the best-known name out there, it's smart to choose a familiar brand. That's not just because you'll likely find it easier to locate parts and service; it's also because you don't want to run the risk of purchasing a machine nobody has ever heard of. After all, reputation means a lot in the long-lived print industry.
The Warranty Is Solid
A warranty means the manufacturer is confident in what they're offering--so confident, in fact, that they're willing to fix things should a rare issue occur. That's a good sign. Look for solid warranties with clear promises and guarantees, which can help save money on potential repairs and maintenance in the future.
The Quality Is Explained
There are a lot of ways to judge a printer's quality, but one of the best is to look at print quality itself. How does the machine handle photographs? How accurately does it print colors? What are the offered resolutions for scanning? Think about all of these things when making your choice--and don't be afraid to research third-party reviews for unbiased opinions.
The Speed Is Respectable
You probably don't need the fastest printer ever made. Instead, choose something that has a respectable print speed but--more importantly--helps speed up your workflows themselves. That means you'll want to look for a printer that doesn't add extra steps, has an easy-to-use interface, smoothly connects to other machines and applications, and offers everything you need in one place.
While you're probably on the lookout for red flags when shopping for a printer, it's equally important to know what green flags look like. Make sure to think about your current and future needs first, and remember that what looks like a good deal upfront may prove to be bad for your budget over time.
Need help choosing that perfect printer? Contact us today to find all the green flags you're looking for.